Table of Contents
- What does a social media manager do?
- Frequently Asked Questions
A social media manager monitors, strategizes, and curates content for a brand’s social media profiles. Consumers expect a brand to have a social media presence. Without one, it’s hard to gain a customer’s trust and loyalty. A social media manager’s job encompasses the following tasks:
- Optimize the brand’s profile for each platform
- Field comments and queries
- Engage with viewers
- Curate and post content
- Monitor reactions
- Monitor the overall health of the brand’s social media presence
- Strategize brand content
- Curate the appropriate tone for the brand’s personality and customer’s expectations
1. Good listenerDoes your social media manager take a step back and let you do the talking, or do they talk over you? Do they actively listen to you, and make an effort to understand your concerns and goals for your business? If there’s any doubt about their abilities here, you may want to ‘next’ them.
2. ObservantA social media manager must be observant. To notice trends via social listening, a manager needs to always be on the lookout for what viewers are saying and how they are interacting with the brand. They also need to look at overall social trends and have a culturally sensitive nature.
3. InsightfulMonitoring and listening help the social media manager to plan and strategize for your business. Planning and strategy require insight.
4. StrategicOne of the most important tasks your manager will perform for you will be brand strategy. By listening and observing, your manager should take their insights and begin to incorporate them into an overall content strategy for your future social media posts.
5. AnalyticalFor a successful strategy to work, managers need to be analytical. They will need to curate posts that take into consideration your target audience’s tastes, expectations, and the kind of tone they want to see from your brand.
6. Ability to leverageA social media manager should take their insights into your customer base, and leverage it to serve your future business goals. Successful social media managers know how to streamline and integrate a brand strategy with your company’s voice and personal story.
7. Customer-centricSuccessful social media managers aren’t just in the business of making their client’s happy; they are also required to develop customer trust and loyalty. More than half of consumers expect customer service and support via social media. A social media manager will need to understand how things look from the customer’s point of view. Is the brand customer-friendly? How is the user experience? Successful social media managers will ask and answer these questions.
8. A healerSocial media managers are responsible for monitoring a brand’s health on social media. If your brand’s reputation has taken a hit or is showing signs of wear, a social media manager will be able to use their insight and superior listening skills to bring a healing touch to your profiles and accounts. With monitoring, they’ll be able to smooth over any customer complaints. By listening, they’ll be able to help pivot the marketing strategy to improve your brand’s reputation and to improve customer trust.
9. Cool-headedIt’s critical that your social media manager has a cool head. After all, they’re the one responsible for starting and fielding conversations on social media. You want a manager who will act responsibly in your stead and won’t inflame conversations or throw out incendiary, offensive remarks if a troll tries to get under their skin.
10. PatientThe most successful social media managers are patient when dealing with both customers and clients. A lack of patience can cause a manager to become short or rude if something doesn’t go as planned. Impatience can also cause them to give up too quickly on a goal or strategy that may otherwise be working, just taking longer than they’d hoped.
11. ReflectiveThe ability to reflect enables social media managers to see what is and isn’t working with the brand’s strategy. Instead of getting caught up in their ego, reflective managers can correct course decisively.
12. EmpathicYou want a manager who is empathetic to your needs, as well as your customers’. They will be dealing with hundreds of different people every day. A social media manager needs to have the ability to connect with and relate to others. An empathic manager will intrinsically know how to engage with people via social media.
13. ConversationalistConversation is an art form, and your social media manager needs to be an artist. They need to know what topics are going to inform and delight a brand’s customer base on social media. In turn, they also need to know how to keep conversations focused and engaging.
14. FocusedIt’s crucial that your social media manager has the ability to focus. Social media is noisy and hectic. Your manager should have a good grasp on how to use monitoring and social media listening tools to help them stay focused and keep the brand’s strategy on track. Getting easily sidelined can damage a brand’s reputation otherwise.
15. Idea machineA successful social media manager should also be an idea machine. By leveraging the power of social media monitoring and listening tools, your manager will be able to generate innovative ideas for your brand’s online strategy consistently. Successfully managing a brand’s social media accounts and their overall strategy is incredibly important in the digital age. Social media managers who know how to connect and engage with people, leverage monitoring, and listening tools, and align their insights with a brand’s goals will be the most successful. It’s not enough to look at social media engagement through the lens of monitoring. Managers must also actively listen to customer expectations in aggregate.
Keyhole is a real-time brand and campaign monitoring tool that provides keyword and hashtag analytics for Twitter and Instagram. Get started for free here. Related Articles: 5 Ways To Boost Sales With A Data-Driven Social Media Strategy Top 22 Social Media Monitoring Tools To Stay Informed In 2023
Frequently Asked Questions
A social media manager monitors, strategizes, and curates content for a brand’s social media profiles. Consumers expect a brand to have a social media presence. Without one, it’s hard to gain a customer’s trust and loyalty
A social media manager’s job encompasses the following tasks:
1. Optimize the brand’s profile for each platform
2. Field comments and queries
3. Engage with viewers
4. Curate and post content
5. Monitor reactions
6. Monitor the overall health of the brand’s social media presence
7. Strategize brand content
8. Curate the appropriate tone for the brand’s personality and customer’s expectations
Top skills for a social media manager position are:
1. Good listener
6. Ability to leverage
15. Idea Machine